Directional drilling is an affordable solution for installing the pipes and cables in the soil. Directional drilling is usually used in places where is: not possible, too expensive or not just practical to use open method pipe installation.
- In directional drilling can be installed pipelines in to the soil like: cables, tubes, metal. The most common dimensions are 32mm-1020mm dispite of the type of the soil.
- Althow the length of the pulled pipes depends on the structure of the soil and the diameter of the. It is possible to pull up to 1000 meters of the pipeline in one time.
- The deeper the installation is, the better the competitiveness compared to the open method.
- Directional drilling requires starting and ending pits.
- Directional drilling consists of different stages:
– Pilot drilling (performed according to the project and the marked line)
– reamering (extension) of the drill tunnel to the required dimension (in heavy soils such as limestone, sandstone ect, several ereamering must be made to achieve the final diameter of the tunnel)
- During the drilling we use bentonite (3-5 times the volume of drilling soil). Bentonite transports the excess soil from the drill tunnel to the pit. The soil mixed with bentonite will be sucked out of the wpits and will be disposed.
- During all drilling operations, the cable guard seals are sealed to avoid soil and other particles from entering into the sleeve.
The entire drilling process is monitored by computer and the measurement system provides continuous information of the drill rods mobility.
Eesti Horisontaalpuur OÜ has few different drilling machines like: Tracto-Technik 15N drill machine that drilles from soft soil to moraine. Second is Tracto-Tecnik 18ACS drill machine wich is able to drill both soft and hard surfaces, including granite and Prime Drill PD 80/33RP drilling machine is used for drilling large diameters and longer distance.